Saturday, December 02, 2006

 

Sugar Rush Central

Yes, I'm early. But that's a good thing, no? Ok, I really didn't want to have anything else interesting happen to me between today and tuesday, as this post is already big enough as is. To add more to it, well, you'd not want to read it then. Not that you want to read it now, but whatever.

Daily Life:
Ok. Saturday the 2nd. Shoprite. Not so much a hell day, as a day that's to weird to describe in less than the entire story. So here's the entire story. I come in as I normally do, punch and get my till. When I'm done counting, it looks like I may be $5 over, but for some reason I ignore it and continue on. When I get to the front, the manager tells me to go fill up the cleaner bottles, and to make sure we have enough, as we're running short. It's been a while since I've done anything away from a register, so I embrace the opperotunity and i collect bottles from EVERYONE. Not just from the registers, but from the photo lab, customer service counter, and even some from the food court and sub shop. So I fill them up, and as I've explained in the past, the room is barely big enough to fit a person in, so I try something new. Usually, I'd leave the door open and have the cart halfway through it holding it open. This time, I just piled and hung all of the bottles around the empty compartments and hooks on the walls, closed the door and did it all without the door being in my way. I finish that and hand them all out, then I'm sent to get paper towels. This was slightly interesting, as I had to use some of my object manipulation skills here. Basically, there was no room to maneuver the ladder around to get to the towel boxes, plus, it was a busy day in the back, because they had 4 trucks to unload, and I had to stay out of the way, even though the ladder was taking up 3 ft of a 4 ft hallway of palettes. So I'm constantly either sliding down the railings of the ladder (bobsled style, literally. Feet on the rails as well as the hands behind, sliding all the way down) to reposition it, or being on top of the ladder and jumping the entire thing around (weighs around 50 lbs) to make space for someone to get through. So I finish that, which was awesome, and then head to the front and pass them out.

At this point, I have realized that there are NO bags on the registers, NONE. The spare boxes of plastic bags were used up hours ago, and people are down to rationing. Plus,there's no paper left, so once we're out, we're out. Now, remember those 4 trucks I told you about? We have one palette of plastic grocery bags in the back of one of those trucks. Problem is, they've yet to unload that truck. But once they do, guess who's going to unload the palette and distribute all those paper bags to the front registers...

At this time, there has been a changing of the guard, and one of the other managers is now reorganizing everyone's pickup envelopes. (If you don't know, once a cashiers till reaches between $750 to $1000, the cashier needs to get a "pickup", which is the managers taking $600 out of the till. It's a security measure to prevent losses from theft. The $600 is placed into an envelope with the cashiers name and number on it, and the spare envelopes are kept in the till room in an improvised filing cabinet. Basically folders hung from 2 rails in a crate.) So I was asked to help with that, and then once I was done with that, I began rebuilding the "cabinet", as the folders were barely attached, unordered, and old as hell. That took about 2 hours, including the interruptions to bring garbage and cardboard to the back, helping a few customers find things, and even bringing a scooter (a Rascal scooter, with a basket. Because our Shoprite is nice to old people) outside the store for someone (those things are awesome to ride when they have a full charge). So I finish with that and go on my break. Nothing special happened then, except for the fact that I somehow managed to burn up about 4 hours out of my 6 hour shift without even touching a register.

So I get back from break and the palette of bags has STILL not been unloaded from the truck. We've been waiting on them for about two and a half hours. So the manager sends me to the back to check and see if they have either unloaded them, or whether I can somehow weazel my way in to grab the bags and unload them, like that's a possibility. So after spending another 10 minutes in the back checking all 4 trucks and seeing which ones didn't have the bags on them, I head back to the front and they tell me to go do returns. Barely 5 minutes after I start that, they call me back to the front. I already know why, but I still have a cart full of returns that I have to, well, return! So I drop that off at the front and head to the back, where I begin unloading the bags and bringing them to the front. Unfortunately for me, there's only about 5 people on registers, so I have to do everything myself, lucky me. I am incredibly thankful that one of the managers got her hands dirty and handed out the first load I brought out to all the registers, Megan has earned +5 respect points and +1 hero point. I'm dead already as I hand out the rest, and when I finish, I still have about 45 minutes to get rid of before my shift ends.

I haven't gone on register all day, and it's been a while since I've done that. It's a useless piece of info, but whatever. I spend the rest of my night doing returns, bringing the CD rack upstairs, and random cleaning up on the front before punching out and going home, completely dead on my ass. I actually didn't want to get out of the truck when i got home, simply because I was already sitting down, and I didn't want to get up. It was good though, I think I probably lost about a pound today, in sweat alone. So that was my day at Shoprite, how was you're day?


Juggle This:
Just so that this isn't a completely one-piece post, I'm randomly providing you with what i've managed to get recently. I did 2 consecutive chin-rolls with 3 clubs today before I went to work. Awesome. I also long-ran a 5551 (siteswap), as opposed to simply doing it as a trick. I've come to the conclusion that siteswap patterns are hard.

A Day In The Life Of A Peanut Butter Cup ~ Reeses2150

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?