Wednesday, December 20, 2006

 

Wii Sports Juggling? YES!


Listen Up!
Nothing to announce other than the release date of Project 6. December 26th, 2006. May come before that if I'm lucky, but definitely not after. Then, I will be working on a video from my day at Shoprite.

Daily Life 1:
I said I would talk about what happened with me and the Wii on Sunday. One number. Four. It started off as me going to Toys-R-Us and staying there for a little while until it opened, in the line of about 20 people mind you, only to learn later that the 20 people currently IN line were not going to get Wiis, as the 20 that were getting them had already been sent in. I didn't even bother with the Best-Buy next door, there was a line of 30. So on my last ditch, I drove over to my local Gamestop, just in case. I ended up grabbing the #14 spot in line, and proceeded to wait the 2 hours for the store to open. A couple things happened while in line. The group of two guys right in front of me, I knew one of them, but for the life of me I couldn't remember where the hell i knew him from. The thing was that he knew me as well, but he had the same effect. Don't you hate it when that happens? Ok, so then, after electing one from our group of three to run to the Shoprite Dunkin Donuts to get us all breakfast, and that having been done, one of the people who was at the laundromat that was next door to Gamestop, came out and yelled at everyone in line about us blocking the path of his (non-existent) customers. Granted, the line was going in front, but we left a 4 foot gap in the line, right at the door, so the one guy going in and out could get through without any trouble. After he threatened to call the cops on us, an absolute genius in the line (too bad it wasn't me) yelled back "You call the cops on us, I'll call them on you being parked in a fire zone!". Yes, his truck (the one yelling at us) was parked DIRECTLY in front of the store, in the clearly marked yellow fire lane. We took pictures and everything, and then he moved the truck like a douche and called the cops. Now, forget that for a second. About 10 minutes later, the opening employee at the Gamestop came past to unlock the doors, and as you can imagine, everyone mobbed him going "HOW MANY!? HOW MANY!!!!!!!!!?". He gave a mumbled answer that noone understood and ran through the door and locked it. Smart man. So he comes back out after another few minutes before the store opens and yells, "FOUR!", and then goes back inside. I left soon afterwards, as it's always good to hang out with campers anyway, it's a great atmosphere, and one where everyone agrees on everything about the current situation, yet has completely wild and drastically different opinions on almost everything.


Daily Life 2 / Juggle This:
Ok, now for my Juggling Day at Shoprite. Overall, a great way to spend a shift at work, especially considering the alternative of scanning customers. I have to start before I even get there, as I'm at home, and I've already gotten through the trouble of deciding on and finding all of the props I wanted to bring with me (the final list was 3 clubs [obvious], 5 balls, 5 lacrosse balls [for bounce juggling and if someone else who can juggle came by], 5 standard rings, 3 fat rings [for bouncing and if the wind was too strong for the standards], 2 rubber rings [for me to head catch a volunteers' throw], 3 boxes, 1 staff [balancing], 1 cane [balancing]). So now, I've got to find out what type of attire I want to put on. After thinking it over many times, I just decide to go in standard Shoprite Uniform and apron, an then grab a Santa hat as I'm heading in. So now that that's settled, I'm arriving at Shoprite.
I run in and punch in using the card (you can't just punch in when you're not scheduled to, you have to get a manager to use the card or lend you the card so you can override the punch clock and be counted), and then head immediately for where Santa is. Right in the Coca-Cola room next to the Dunkin Donuts, so I setup shop there, and while everyone else is in nice uniforms and costumes (a couple of the organizers were dressed as elfs), I'm standing there with a red hat and a Shoprite apron. But then again, it fits. So I'm not really going to go into detail or anything, but after a while of trying to find out where everything is happening and get everything running, they decide to send me outside. No problem, seeing as how I like the cold, and get to juggle outside where I have a higher ceiling and more room to move around.
So after my first hour, and having a few kids playing around and the usual stuff you would expect from improvised jugging in public, Dan and a few of my other coworkers/conspirators come out. One of them can juggle three balls, but mostly, we just start messing around with my abilities, like passing 5 balls by me doing 4 and having Dan throw one in and out of the pattern. Whatever, it's all good. So move over another hour, and now it's time for the public service/local news station report. You know that whenever an event like this happens, there's always a local broadcast that noone watches. Either way, so Mr. C--------, along with a few of the other high up store managers here, and even the mayor, come out for a quick video shoot in front of the truck. The guy then got some more footage of whoever else was there, including shots of the truck and of myself. It's good.
Skip ahead another hour. One guy comes up to me, like a few others have, and asks if he could try to juggle with some of my stuff. I don't like being a dick, so as like the others, I let him try, he first did the rings, and to my surprise, he actually juggled them pretty good. So then I ask him if he can do clubs, because balls and rings are VERY easy, almost anyone can do them. Again, he does them pretty nicely. Then he tells me that he is a former local circus performer. What a shock that was to me. So he's sitting there playing around with my props, and he did a really good cane balance on the top of his head, where he then went down to his knees and back up again. So after hanging out with him for about 10 minutes, I gave him my card, and am currently waiting for him to contact me, I hope. I may have finally found a partner to pass clubs with in my area SWEET!
SO things pretty much fizzled after that point. I took a break at the beginnig of my 4th hour, then went back and did some juggling inside before packing up and going home. Oh, and I forgot to mention, I also brought my camera and I took a little bit of footage while I was there (you wont' see it in Project 6, but I may make it all into a quick video, if not a promo video in tandem with some other footage). I gave out a lot of business cards too, at least 12, and a couple people seemed really enthusiastic and even asked me for a quick estimate of cost, so hopefully, I'll get a few gigs. All in all, it was awesome. The only downside to big juggling events and things like this, is that after juggling for 4 straight hours, you get one MASSIVE headache. Remember, juggling IS effectively a cardio workout, because you're doing a lot of light motions constantly and quickly. So after doing it for a long period of time, it will hurt you. But by god it's worth it.

Juggle This:
While I was at Shoprite, I had a really great 4 ring fountain going, and I'd already done a few siteswaps in the same run. Seeing as how my 4 ring trick collection is very small I out of nowhere, tried a shoulder throw with 4. I have no idea how, but it worked perfectly. I tried it a few more times, and made it twice out of every 3 tries, so I got myself a new trick. Otherwise, absolutely nothing else going on in my juggling life that you won't see in Project 6.

A Day In The Life Of A Peanut Butter Cup ~ Reeses2150

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?