Tuesday, January 23, 2007

 

Glass Breakage


Listen Up!
Spring classes have started. You can't really call it spring, but hell, it's only been 2 days, and I've only been to half my classes so far. But from what I've done, I think I'm going to like Tuesdays, especially my psychology course.

Daily Life:
Shoprite Stories Yet Again! Ok, Saturday, I'm scheduled 4-9, and I check this time. I come in, and it's busy, fun for me. The managers send me to #19, which isn't a bad register, only because it's the only register that isn't blazingly warm thank to it being right next to the exit. Either way, I start scanning, and after about an two hours or so of nothing special happening, I get a MASSIVE $400 order that took up about 3 carts. Luckily, I've got the guy on register 21 (reserve express lane) to help me bag. Even so, it doesn't help that I've already got about $500 in my till, and she decides to pay all in cash. I am immediately locked out of my register, and it will not take the order without the override key. Thanks to how busy it was, it took about 8 minutes for the key to get to my register and for her to go. In the meantime, I actually had time to look outside and see that it was SNOWING! That made my day. So then, while the manager was there, she tells me to turn off my light and go give the food court register a lunch break. Awesome, and I'm not being sarcastic. The food court register is the quietest of all, especially in total darkness.

Yes, if you haven't figured out from that statement, the power went out not 5 minutes after I went onto that register. It's one of the most awesome things to be in a foodstore when there's a blackout, to hear the simultaneous "YEAH!" from all the lazier employees (myself included, I won't lie), and the "Awwwww..." (as in "Awwww damn") from all of the customers, immediately followed by at least one crashing sound. Unfortunately, it only lasted for about a minute, but it was cool. So then it took about 15 minutes for the registers in the back to reboot to the point where I could sign back in and start scanning people again. So basically, I only spent about 5 minutes WORKING in the back, the other 25 was just standing there. Like I had any customers anyways?

So I get back to the front and they tell me to go on my break, so I do just that. Nothing interesting happens there. Skip ahead to me going back to the front and being asked to refill the cleaner bottles, one of my favorite things to do at Shoprite. I collect the bottles, and as I'm heading back, I pass by a guy who's electric scooter ran out of power. If you don't know, Shoprite has a set of electric scooters that have baskets on them that are free for disabled and old people to use. So I leave the cart there and go get the guy a new cart. When I come back, and then again after bringing the dead cart back to the front for recharging, I find that 3 of the spray bottles I had mysteriously vanished. I caught the guy in the janitors closet filling them with the WRONG cleaner. So I took the bottles back and told him to go down to the bottom janitors room for refilling and to get his own bottles. Since he thought I was a manager or something, he apologized and headed down. So after I finished with all the refilling of the bottles, on the way back, I found a man carrying a 1 year old or so who was looking for something, I forget what. As soon as I finish telling him where it would be on the shelves, the kid pukes all over him. Now I'm trying to fight the laughter as I say, "I'll go get some towels, I'll be right back." I come back and find the kid trying to run off. I catch him and give the guy the towels, and show him the way to the daycare center we have. I go right back to the bottles. I pass them all out, and then am told to do some returns.

It's about 8:15 by now, so now it's just a countdown to going home. So I'm doing returns, and not much is happening, and then I come back for my third cart and almost slip (actually I did slip, but I didn't fall), on a milk spill. And entire half gallon container of milk had burst open right in front of register 8. What's great is that the managers are nowhere to be found and I don't know how to page the store from anywhere but the airphones (the nearest working one is across the store). So I put a few carts over the spill, tell the cashier on 8 to close and bag for someone else for the time being, and then go across the store to page for someone. Then, around 8:50, another GIANT spill, right at the courtesy desk. I come past about 30 seconds after someone dropped a glass bottle of apple cider, and hit a melted container of Ice Cream on it's way down to the floor and it's ultimate oblivion, and then the ice cream started dripping out. It was maddening, I feel sorry for the guys in maintenance that day. But I just keep doing my returns until 9:00 comes around, at which point I punch the clock and get the hell out of there before something else happened. Sunday was a pretty uneventful day, except for the business.

Juggle This:
Well, as a lot of you who read this part know, I've been coming up with the rules and stuff to lead the 2007 WJF beginners comp. I just replied back to Jason's last response about the final draft, and this is going to be the LAST revision. So expect the beginners rules to be up within the next few days hopefully. Not much else in juggling news. Recently, 2 people I know have finally become interested and have asked me to teach them how to juggle. My co-worker Dan, and my cousin PJ, I taught them both the basic 3 ball, and I haven't checked up on them yet, but I heard that my cousin was practicing, and Dan sometimes will go over to produce and practice with 3 oranges as I've seen (I presonally think those tiny cans of cat food are better juggling objects, but that's just me, lol). So that's that. I released another quick hash video, Juggle Thru, and it got a good response. I literally took 2 hours out of my life to make that video when I was bored around 1:00 AM one night. Whatever.

A Day In The Life Of A Peanut Butter Cup ~ Reeses2150

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?