Monday, January 26, 2009

 

You Do NOT Mess With The Kohut

Listen Up!
So I'm down into the first week of my new classes, and WOW. So far, it seems like Photo2 is going to be AWESOME, I'm going to be learning new techniques I haven't tried before in both photoshop AND film. My Construction Materials Testing seems like it's going to be an epic hands on course that I am going to love, except for the math. And my Computer Applications In Business class is an absolute JOKE, I'm learning how to open and save files in Microsoft Word right now, lmao. I'm not sure what the last course is like because I haven't had it yet, but 2D Design should be an awesome course regardless because that's what I've already been doing for years.
::
Well my job search has hit a snag. I haven't heard back at ALL from Fed-Ex (which I really thought would be a slam dunk), UPS, and Blockbuster, even after following up with them. So now I've got to find someplace that's still hiring now (with the alleged economy crisis and all), and that will fit my skills set. HOWEVER! My professor in Contruction Materials Testing, said on day one, that he's looking to hire someone who knows AutoCAD and has some electrical background, and me and only one other person come close to qualifying those requirements. So that I may end up getting, I hope... ALSO! I'm only one semester away from getting my CAD certificate, so if I don't get a job DURING the semester, it should be easy to get a higher scale job in the AutoCAD field after I finish this last class I need.
::
Don't even MENTION Jugglers On Juggling. Good non-existent god, I literally cannot think of a single episode idea that I could do on my own and NOT sound like an asshole. I REALLY want to do more episodes, the thing is I've already covered all of the topics I think I'm qualified to talk about and that I think would hold the viewers interest for more than 3 minutes. I'm thinking about doing co-hosted episodes again, but more of an interview type setup, where I'd get someone like Michael Karas on talking about how to be creative with new props, and I'd be sitting back as the casual listener and ask whatever questions I have to him. Whatever happens, it's going to be a little while before the next episode I'm afraid. Unless of course I have a sudden brain-wave and come up with an awesome idea for a solo episode.
::

Daily Life:
So let's see, a story, a story, my kingdom for a story. Well, I guess I can talk about today. SO! I knew thanks to Gordon telling me on Friday, that the semi-annual CCPP Club Picnic thing was happening today. Basically, this is where you set up a booth among a bunch of other booths in either outside during the fall, or in the cafeteria during the spring, and try to convince people to put down their email addresses so you can count them as having joined the club. Now, seeing as how I didn't think about it until Gordon told me 2 days beforehand, I didn't have a single thing planned, and I even forgot to remind the club members to show up for it. Whoops.

So let me get to my point, I knew it was today, and I had a general idea of when. I didn't bother to check, I just assumed it would run from 10:00 AM to 2PM. So I figured I'd have to show up a half hour early to get everything ready, and a half hour to get there, and 20 minutes to pack up everything I needed to bring with me, I figured I'd have to wake up at 8:20 AM. Which doesn't sound bad, but remember, my sleep schedule is off of the normal person's by 5 hours. 8:00 AM to me is essentially 3 AM for you. So I wake up, do all that stuff, and head over to find out, THAT IT DOESN'T START UNTIL 11:30!!!! DAMNIT!

Well, I use the time to drive back and pick up some other things I thought about while I was walking from the parking lot to the Cafeteria, and then by the time I got back and set up, it was already time to go, and there were TONS of people. Mostly they were there for the free food, which is tradition at the semi-annual thing. So I'm sitting there, for a while, trying to think of what the hell I can do to grab attention, and all I had was my laptop (playing shows from Revision3), my camera, my juggling equipment, and a screwdriver. So I spend about a half hour constantly taking apart and putting back together my old broken camera, and then juggling for people. Then it's 1:00PM, and all of the sudden, the crowd is gone and everyone else is packing up to leave. I'm sitting there dumbfounded at the horrible schedule. But I decide reluctantly to do the same, then go practice juggling and get a few awesome tricks in the process, which I will talk about later.

So I go back home once again and hang out for about an hour or two, and then it's time for my class at the Perth Amboy center. Now, it's been about a year since I mentioned it, so let me describe it quickly. It's a shorter drive to get there, it's a pretty laid back class structure, and it's nearly 100% Hispanic students. Of course, that means nothing to me, I could care less about all those details except for the shorter drive, but what I did care about was the class I'm taking. It's title is "Computer Applications In Business". Now, with a title like that, you'd think we'd be learning Linux or some sort of proprietary thing, right? Nope. Instead, today we were learning how to open and close files in Microsoft Word. I WISH I was joking. The class schedule says that the hardest thing we'll be doing at the end of the year will be making a power point presentation. Are you fucking kidding me?!

For the love of god, I REALLY hope that when I go talk to my adviser tomorrow, that there is a test I can take to instantly pass the course and get a partial refund on the tuition. I didn't say that much about it, because it is so stupefying that talking about how simple this class is just makes me lose faith in human intellect, so I don't want to talk about it. Bottom line, it's the easiest and most pointless course I've ever laid eyes on, and I'll leave it at that. That was the end of my day, and now I'm writing this. Hooray.

Juggle This:
TODAY WAS A GOOD DAY! SO WAS FRIDAY! Let's go in chronological order then. Friday, I've got class in the Tech Services center from 11:00 Am to 3 PM, and then after that I'm free. Now, I haven't had access to anything over an 8 foot ceiling since WJF5, and I've been just ACHING to practice my rings again. So I figure I'll go into the foyer as I usually do and practice a few 5 ring moves for a while. Then all the sudden, I feel the rings getting easier and easier. This happens to me pretty often when I don't practice for a while, whatever I haven't practiced becomes easy for a short while afterwards. So I felt this, and decided to try and make a few tricks I'd been thinking about doing. Since I was getting 3 ring overheads in one count somewhat easily and even getting a flash of 4 ring overheads one count, I figured I'd try for more than one throw of 5 ring half-overheads. I failed miserably, because the foyer's roof sucked something horrible. It's a glass ceiling and it was a bright sunny day, so when a ring would get between my eyes and the glass ceiling, it would disappear. I looked around for another place, and noticed that the massive lecture hall which is setup like a theater, is open, and has no class in it. I go in, and it is amazing how well it worked. After about a half hour of trying, I managed to get both 8 catches of 5 ring half overheads back to a cascade and 10 throws to a collect! HAPPY AM I! And then of course, having done that, I decided to try another move I couldn't do under 8 feet. A 5 ball cascade with a 6th on the forehead, dropping the 6th down into a fountain mid cascade. THAT I got, ON THE FIRST TRY! Absoluterly perfect, so I left that day happy, for sure.

THEN, zoom across the weekend to today. After having to sit in the college center for the club fair thing for a few hours, I then had 4 hours until my next class, and I've had another move I REALLY wanted to try. A 97531, with rings. I'd done it to a collect before, and felt like after getting 5 ring half-overheads, that I was ready to get it. So I go back and see if the Theater at the College Center is open, and it's not, but I find my way in through the side door, to find a class going on. Damn. Well, at least I know a place right next to the side door that has a high enough roof for a 9, but the lighting sucks. So after fussing to get it for 30 minutes, I find out that the class is over and I can go use the AWESOME lighting on the stage to get footage for my next video. I spend another half hour, and through pure sweat and determination, I make it. I see it go up, all the throws are perfect, and I catch the first 3, then see that the first two throws were in fact, NOT perfect, and that they were actually really low for what I needed, so I quickly tossed the other 3 out, and went into pure subconscious-save-the-pattern mode, and in a flash, save it and manage to reenter a cascade. I made a 97531 with rings, to a qualify. It sounds mundane only because there is no correct punctuation or way to express how excitingly awesome it is in text. Oh wait, there is...

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *Falls over, rolling around with joy

So after that incredible move that I don't think I'll ever get again before WJF6, I decided that now was a good time to try and break my 5 ring flat-front-reverse record. I beat it by one catch with 18 catches clean. The footage looks absolutely BEAUTIFUL, and I couldn't be happier than I was right then and am right now remembering how happy I was then. Wait, what?

(This week's photo's of my compliments of Ville)
A Day In The Life Of A Peanut Butter Cup ~ Reeses2150

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?