Friday, April 03, 2009

 

Double Juggle

Listen Up!
First off, sorry about missing last week's post, I was pretty low on sleep all week and I just didn't have the energy after midterms. And as for why this post is late, again, same thing, a mixture of no enough sleep, job hunting, and college.
::
Well my job search has gone down to focusing on two final candidates. Lowes Cinema in New Brunswick, because it's a job I'm qualified for and my uncle Jerry works there. Then I could also go and try to work back at Shoprite again, because I was a good worker and my uncle Pete still works there as a manager. I've just sent in the application to Shoprite, and I've already talked to the hiring manager at Lowes. I really hope I get the job at Lowes, it's a job I think I'll really like.
::
College seems to be running smoothly. My grades are good, and I haven't missed many classes. Of course now is the time to register for Fall courses, and wouldn't you know it, they hate me. They schedule the classes I need right on top of each other, and they say I need to finish the prerequisite course in order to register, and the prerequisite courses are what I'm in right now! How much sense does that make?! I'm gonna go talk to the supervisors tomorrow or sometime about that, cuz it's crap.
::
Now, with my podcast, well, if I'm having trouble finding time for my BLOG, I have absolutely NO time to do JoJ. Season 3 is over anyways, and I met my promise to put out a half dozen episodes, so I'm happy with season 3. Even though I don't have the time to plan out season 4 yet, I'm still thinking about it, and for this upcoming season my idea is to do it over the summer and have it be a debate show. Basically take a classic juggling related debate, or whatever isn't being talked about, and go between myself and another co-host in a debate format where we explore the topic and just try to generally provoke thought. I think that'd be great, who knows if it'll work though...
::


Juggle This:
So you all remember Jacob right? Youtube user "TheRisingIris"? Well, I told him that there was this juggling convention in Brooklyn coming up and he instantly wanted to go with me. So we ended up running around with all these different plans and eventually it turned out that he'd drive us in his car on Friday and Saturday and stay over my place which is right next to Staten Island Friday night. So that was the plan, we'd go to the class we had together at Middlesex County College on Friday and then as soon as it ended head back to my place to swap cars and barge ahead to Brooklyn. We managed to drive in really easily and as we walked in, I couldn't help but say to him "Welcome to my world", like an absolute dork. But alas, I dropped off my equipment at the bleachers along with him, and quickly introduced him to Adam, whose place I had stayed at last year and who is also a novice juggler. While tI let the two of them get to know each other and practice a bit, I went around and looked for the familiar faces I know and love seeing, faces like Michael Karas, Emmanuel, Paris, Jacob (from Canada), Jake Ledermen (there really are a lot of jugglers name Jake aren't there), and others. I then proceeded to juggle my ass off and socialize with the lot of them before Jacob and I decided to go get ourselves Pizza.


So as we got pizza with Jacob from Canada coming with us, we discussed some of the finer details of what it's like to be absolutely addicted to juggling and loving it with the young juggler. It's a conversation I don't get to have very often, and it's one I love giving because I love giving advice from experience. After we finished pizza the rest of the day was pretty uneventful, the two of us went from trying to get the other to push their limits (me trying to get Jacob to get 6 catches of 5 balls and him trying to get me to do a 5 up 360), to socializing with other jugglers, to just having a good time there, and then finally it was 10:30 or so and time to leave. Now, this was the interesting bit, is we had two routes we could take to get back to my place, the first was go back through Staten Island, which was a much simpler and easier route, but we'd have to pay a big toll going back into Staten Island from Long Island. The second option was to go across the Manhattan Bridge to the Holland Tunnel to Rt 1/9, which was much more complex, but completely free. We decided to go the free route, and found our way to the Manhattan bridge fairly easily, but then had to loop around a block or two because Canal St was blocked off coming straight from the Manhattan Bridge for some reason. We made it back though, and the next day we did the same thing with no prob at all.

So day two, the real day I'd been looking forward to. We got up around noon and made our way into NYC to get to the Club Passing workshop, because if I wanted Jacob to learn one thing, it'd be club passing, because there is no greater joy in juggling than passing, especially clubs. So we spent time at the workshop and he managed to get 3 passes in 6 count before we went back and hung out more. The rest of the day until 7 was pretty much a repeat of yesterday, going around juggling and mingling, and for me I spent an hour hanging out and throwing around ring ideas with Michael Karas and Emmanuel, which was an absolute dream for me. I managed to learn from them a backcross pulldown and pulled off a 3 ring pancake pulldown (where I throw all three rings up as cakes as a flash and catch them all on the head.) It was all just great.

So then 7:00 came by and it was time for the Gym to close and the show to start, we split a pizza pie between my Jacob and a random New Yorker to save money, and then made our way to the theater. The first half of the show was gfood, but nothing overly spectacular, until the dance act. Holy Crap was that act absolutely incredible, Kenichi Ebina is a genius, if you don't believe me, just watch the frickin trailers! Then came intermission, and me and Jacob spent some time passing in the waiting area until the lights flickered and we went back in for what I knew would be a most insane closer. Karas and Paris, holy crap guys, I knew it was going to be awesome, but I had no idea it would be as incredible as it was! I really wish I could share pictures or video, because it was so much better than anything the both of them have done solo. But we need to move on, there were more acts, like Lin Junming doing a ten ring flash onstage! Holy, wow! I mean, the rest of his act before then was ok, doing 3 ring tricks and such, but that ten ring flash, god damn. I looked over at Jacob after it sunk in for me and he was still sitting there with a blank expression of awe. Then it was finally time for Get The Shoe! I'd been waiting to see them live since I first saw their trailer, and they only had one drop in the entire performance. Everyone, as I expected, was blown away by the performance, me, Jacob, everyone. Just can't stop talking about it for the next 20 minutes after the show ended! Insane!

Then came the time waiting for the Renegade show to start, where I would debut my "Muffin Clutches", but that comes later, they opened up the cafeteria right next door, but failed to mention the ice cream, smoothies, and drinks were not being served, so I stood in line for about ten minutes before hearing from Paris that they weren't selling any of what I wanted. Oh well. The renegade show started and I got up on sage and did the most humiliating trick ever, I picked up each of my man boobs and stuck a juggling ball under each one, I the n juggled 3 more, threw them up, took out the other two, and continued a 5 ball cascade. And that is how to do Muffin Clutches. The rest of Renegade was pretty good, of course nowhere near as good as last years I think, but still good. I spent half of the show though helping Jacob find his cell phone as it fell out of his pocket. So once the show ended, I said my goodbye's to everyone and me and Jacob headed out, still raving about Get The Shoe.

A Day In The Life Of A Peanut Butter Cup ~ Reeses2150

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?