Tuesday, May 12, 2009

 

To Boldly Go

Listen Up!
So my job is going well. I've learned what I need to do and have been doing it as well as I can. I'm about to get my first paycheck soon, and will be adding it right to my bank account for the IJA. As for more details about the job, I plan on talking about them today along with what a long day seems to be there and why this is so far the best job I think I've ever had.
::
Well there's not much else to say now that college is over. My report came in and I am a little stunned as to some of the grades I got, but no failures which is always good. Basically, I passed the main course I needed to pass this year, which was my last Civil Engineering course, and now all I need to do is apply for the Drafting Certificate and I will be a certified Draftsperson, and if all goes well and I get used to the workload at Home Depot or decide I need MORE money, I can find a job right now as a draftsperson somewhere and work in AutoCAD.
::
There really isn't much else to talk about this week. I haven't been doing a hell of a lot because this past week and a half has been my week to break from college before I start working on personal projects again like my next juggling video or deviantART submissions and such. Either way, my break went well, and now it's time to generate some content! Including, maybe, the plans for JoJ Season 4?.....

Reeses2150's Reviews For The Intelligent Human

STAR TREK
Let me start off by saying, I was SO scared about this movie. The first teaser trailer got me amped, but then I started thinking as more and more trailers came out "Wait, all they're showing is action?" and then I see the tagline "This isn't your dad's Star Trek" and hear the quote from McCoy "We've got no captain and no first officer to replace him" and each of them made me cringe with fear that JJ took the franchise away from what it was all about and turned it into an excuse to have big space battles with no respect to the canon at all. Walking out after the end credits I could not have been more wrong. I saw three big flaws in the movie that I'll spoiler alert about later, but for right now let me talk about the masive amounts of good that this film brought to the table. Firstly, the casting for everyone was BEAUTIFUL. Getting Zachary Quinto to play Spock was an absolute stroke of GENIUS, and the only two people that didn't seem to fit their roles well were Checov and Uhura. Everyone else did Magnificently.

The story now. This is where the bread and butter of Star trek has lied for MANY years, is it's great storytelling. I wish I could explain without giving away half the movie, this movie really is best seen when you have no idea what to expect. Let me just say though, that my biggest fear was that JJ was going to just hash together a story that allowed for nonstop action with little or no reason. Not the case. Though there was a LOT of action in the movie, and it did feel a lot like Wrath Of Kahn at times, there was still plenty of explaining and storytelling to justify it. By far one of my biggest fears was because this was an origin story, that JJ was going to completely throw away the entire Star Trek Canon in favor of his own vision. Though that is EXACTLY what he did, he managed to creat a story that did that WITHOUT slapping the old Canon in the face. Two words. Alternate Timeline. and that's all I'll reveal for you guys.

Now for the 3 little errors I caught, and these are *spoilers*. #1, how the hell can Uhura order a Cardassian drink in the 23rd Century? Starfleet wasn't even halfway to exploring Cardassian and Bajoran space until the 24th century, but here's Uhura before the Enterprise even takes off ordering a cardassian drink on the menu. #2. And this is where it gets serious. Why the hell doesa black hole suddenly turn into a time machine with NO modifications or special treatment? Just like that, this "Red Matter" ignites and creates a black hole, which should crush anything that falls into it right? No, instead, as Spock's and Nero's ships get dragged into the black hole, they suddenly just pop out somewhere else in the past. #3. What the hell is with this "Red Matter" anyways? It's never explained at ALL, and somehow it seems that a drop of the stuff will create a black hole big enough to suck up a planet, as where the entire sphere of the stuff, which must have been a BILLION drops worth, created a black hole EXACTLY THE SAME SIZE, MAYBE EVEN SMALLER! Can someone please explain how that fits into the laws of physics? Please?

Daily Life:
Well let me talk about my working environment, which is absolutely wonderful. I already said last week that my basic job is to water all the plants, put out new ones, remove dead ones, label everything that needs labeling, and organize/rearrange all the plants. So now let me give you just a quick bit of info on what the working environment is like. INCREDIBLE. Basically, I make my own hours, so I just need to go in whenever I need to, call the main office to clock in, do the stuff on the list, with NO supervision, NO limitations on when I can/can't go to the bathroom or grab a drink of water, and with no time limit or anything, and then just call the office again to clock out when I'm done. This is by far the best job I've had. But there are a few drawbacks that make it a little tough to do.

#1. scale. The number of plants in both the stores I maneg is ENORMOUS, and having to water/manage EACH plant every time I'm there, it isn't hard, but it's time consuming as hell and tedious too.
#2. Space. Every 3days an order comes in, and though this is the summer and people buy a lot, half the time I'm there at either store I'm finding myself staring at a ful cart of flowers with NOPLACE to put them, and that's my job is to rearrange everything and make room.
#3. Insects. I have to make sure that the insects don't get into any of the plants and eat at them every time I'm there, so that's another tedious thing I need to do and check for that makes the job suck somewhat.

Other than that, the rest of the suck is all minor stuff that can be related to ANY job, like filling out and faxing paperwork, to helping the random customer that doesn't understand I'm in a different department than they need help in, and whatever. But so far, I'm happy, and I'm making a fair bit doing this stuff, so let's hope it lasts until July eh?

Juggle This:
Sorry, nothing here this week simply because I've been busy relaxing and doing work at my new job to juggle much, that and with my college classes over, I've lost my access to the great high roofed places around campus that I usually juggle at. I'll swing back to campus once every few weeks to do some practice, but for now, things are slowin down slightly.

A Day In The Life Of A Peanut Butter Cup ~ Reeses2150

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?