Monday, June 08, 2009

 

Crap Crap Crap

Listen Up!
First off, sorry about missing last week's post, I really didn't know what happened there, and I'm sorry if this post is late too, seeing as how I got sick yesterday and today (Tuesday Morning/Monday Night) I am feel like death....
::
Work is going very well, I'm making enough money to get me to the IJA, and the work is going smoothly enough that I don't need to frett too much over losing the job. I've been able to do more than just water and remove dead stuff, so I've shown myself to be valuable asset to Kurt Weiss I think, and I'm gonna ask my supervisor for her opiinion of my performance so far, to see if there's anything I need to step up my game on or if there's anything I'm forgetting.
::
Tech.MCC has been a bit of a wash so far during the summer, I've ended up cancelling 2 meetings in a row out of the 3 we've had so far, and the trip to Diggnation was a wash too...

Daily Life: A Trip to the Live Diggnation
So there's this little podcast network called Revision3, they have a little show on there called Diggnation. The hosts of the show are geek celebrities who have thousands of fans, I am one of them. I was featured on this show in one of it's early episodes (as can be found on my youtube channel), for my juggling, and since then I have gone to every meetup in NYC and juggled at all of them. They did a live show in New York City last year, and I was there for that too, but this one was much bigger at Webster Hall, and as I did last year, I sent out an email to the members of Tech.MCC (and in hindsight I sent it out WAYYYY too late) inviting them to join me. One person did, so here's what happened.

I got all my juggling supplies and packed up the truck to go to work, I spent the 5 hours at Home Depot doing my job and excitedly thinking about what will happen at the show later that night. my work ended and I took the short trip to the Train Station near where I worked, where I was to meet the other member of Tech.MCC, who would then drive us both to the event in Manhattan. Things went smoothly on the way there, including getting through the Holland Tunnel and finding our way to the spot. After nearly 20 minutes of searching for a free parking space, we broke down and went to the nearest parking lot. The price was 35 bucks. We made a deal that he'd buy whatever drinks I was gonna have if I paid for that. The deal was struck, and I broke pretty much even because I only had 3 Brooklyn Laguer's and a Corona at 7 bucks a pop. But that's later.

Once we got in line, we got what we were expecting eagerly, free Klondike bars! Why? Klondike was sponsoring the show, so even as it began to rain outside annd everyone stood in line, we had something good to keep us happy. I broke out a few juggling moves in the line as I did last year, of course this time because of the rain they moved us all inside (and by all of us, I mean the couple hundred people in line) to wait. While in there, there was a space where a stage light was shining, so I took advantage of that and juggled a bit there for everyone, and managed to get some attention and pass out a bunch of business cards, much more than last year. So me and the other Tech.MCC member split up and went our separate ways into different groups, and waited for the hour or two before we were finally let updstairs to the main ballroom of Webster hall. There was another half hour or so of DJ's playing stuff before Alex and Kevin (the show hosts) came out for the pre-show. That was an epic moment, because almost as soon as they got onstage they threw out T-shirts for Revision3, and one of the pure geniuses of the audience threw it back. This turned the audience into a mob, and everyone started throwing random stuff onstage to them, including one guy who took off his belt and threw it up, numerous people threw their Klondike bars (which more were given out throughout the evening), and one group of ladies threw onstage all their phone numbers on a pice of paper! That was fairly epic, and then the best thing of all happened, another Geek celebrity from New Jersey, Gary Vaynerchuck, threw his WALLET onstage from the balcony, and that was how Kevin and Alex found out he was at the show before tossing it back up to him. Talk about epic.

So the show began, and there were a number of noteworthy bits that happened, one was a random drunk person who jumped up onto the stage and was promptly removed by security, that was funny as hell. Another cool thing mid show was that someone threw onstage (not part of the mob, but during the show) Kevin's jacket which he had left at a taping location 2 live shows ago in Texas. How much more epic can you get than that? I'll tell you how epic, when one of the show's sponsors sends out chicks with a t-shirt gun, and both the hosts end up firing it off into the rafters, at the same time they took turns throwing more Klondikes into the balcony, half of them covered in hard ice that made them, essentially, rocks. Fucking Win.

After the show was over there was of course the mad rush to meet them for a photo-op in the corner while the DJ played. I missed this last year because I had to catch a bus, but luckily this time, thanks to the Tech.MCC guy, I could stay as long as I want, and maybe even catch Alex, who is also a juggler, and do some juggling tricks with him after the mob went away. Of course I did get the chance to get a photo op, that's what's off to the left here, but unfortunately as soon as that was over the guards rushed both hosts back to their isolation booths for the rest of the night. That sucked for me, but that was just the beginning of my woes!

On the way out, I found I only had 30 dollars of cash on me, so I had to pay some with my debit card to the parking guys. As soon as that happened we drove down to Canal Street to enter the Holland Tunnel. All fine and stuff, of course the second we hit Canal Street, the first light we went through was yellow, and we went pretty late, we saw one flash as we entered and another flash as we exited the intersection. The NYPD had set up an auto-ticketer on that light and thanks to the economy have cranked down on it's leniency setting. pissed me and him off, but that was again, nowhere near the end. The next light was pretty slow with the way traffic was going through, on both sides, and we got stuck in the middle of the intersection as the light went red, thus, we were in the way of traffic going through, fine, we moved up as far as we could for people to get through behind us. You'd think that the cars wanting to get through woudl go through the opening we made, nope. One asshole jumps in as soon as the light on his side turns yellow, so now we have the green. As the car in front of us pulls up, he jumps in and squeezes through in front of us, nearly clipping of the bumper as we went. We both flipped him off instantly, and IN THAT TIME, ANOTHER asshole driver decided to make a left turn and nearly smacked us head on as we went to get the hell out of the intersection. Now we're both a little bit pissed.

We're about a block away from the entrance to the Holland Tunnel, and things are at a dead standstill. Absolutely stopped. We sat there for 20 minutes before the line moved up enough for me to squint and read the sign that said "one lane open". ONE FUCKING LANE?! Yes, only one lane of the tunnel was open, with everyone crowding to get out of the city. Finally, the line moved enough where we could turn out of the line, now fuming, and hit the West Side Highway to the Lincoln Tunnel instead, wasting gas and time. I have no way to describe other than that my hair nearly burst into flames each time we hit a red light. This continued and it seemed like every light all the way back to the fucking train station where I'd parked the truck, was turning red right in front of us. It was hell, and I sat there appreciating EVERY red light on the route home from there. *grumble*

Juggle This:
I've done some reflecting recently, and what have I come to realize? I hate summer and what it does to my juggling. I don't have the big roofed spaces on campus to practice in anymore and I don't have my props and camera constantly on me like when the semester is going. I feel bad about it because I look at my youtube channel and see it's been weeks since I posted anything good, and I'm gathering footage for Adverse Reaction at what seems to be one trick a week! DAMNIT!

I really do want to be recording stuff, it's just that ll the stuff I want to do is with rings and needs a high roof. I can't do the stuff outside because of the constant wind that results from living between the Turnpike and a river, and the garage ceiling is the highest ceiling I don't have to go out of my way for, and that's only 9 feet high or so, not even enough to do 6 rings under. I mean I have spent some time outside getting ball and club footage, but the thing is it's all been for Adverse Reaction and nothing worth posting by itself to youtube.

But besides that though, I've been doing some work pre-planning what's gonna happen with JoJ season 4, and it seems like I have a dedicated co-host for this season and a few topic ideas. The thing is, right now we've only just started planning out ideas and stuff, I have no idea what I'll be doing for video or what we'll do in terms of recording or what. Right now it's just ideas flying around, but one thing that I do have down for sure, is that before summer ends, there will be the next season of JoJ beginning.

A Day In The Life Of A Peanut Butter Cup ~ Reeses2150

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?