Monday, October 12, 2009

 

Damn To Do Lists.....


Listen Up!
Fuck my busy life......
I literally didn't even have time to do this all of last week, and forget about doing JoJ, I just don't have the time between college work, socialzing, and trying to find a job. Damn do I hate not being able to do my personal projects....
::
Well at least Tech.MCC is doing good, last week we tried our first Wednesday meeting, and it was in the cafeteria where we could be out in public and use the wifi point as well. It was the first really successful meeting of the semester, and as such we'll be holding all the meetings, same place, same time. Now we can finally focus on actually DOING things in the club.
::
Right now with my job search, the best possibility for me is Walgreens, having a friend who works in one, a new store opening up nearby, AND my customer service experience. I need to go in and interview, but so far I've applied online and hopefully I'll be getting up the cash to pay for last semester soon.
::

Daily Life:
So Saturday was my mom's 50th birthday, and despite knowing I'd probably have a bad time at the party, I figured it was worth doing for her. I woke at around 10:30 for the 2 hour drive, of course I wasn't expecting my grandma and aunt to be carpooling with us, but there I was suddenly sitting next to my Aunt, who for the first 30 minutes would not stop talking. I love her obviously, but I mean, my grandma knows when she's being annoying, and so does my sister, but I digress.....

So after the two hour drive in which I managed to fall asleep for a good hour of which, I found myself looking at the massive selection of wines that everyone was drinking, a few people encouraging me to have a few of the free samples. One thing though, I hate wine. The taste of it is horrible, and it doesn't do anything for me. So I spent a good deal of my time there turning down wine samples, glasses during dinner, and pretty much constantly. The whole thing was then brought into the big dining hall for dinner, and between the soup/salad, main course, and desert there was a set of opera singers. The guys were good, but god damn do I hate women opera singers. It just sounds so much excuse to hit high notes and shatter eardrums, I can't stand it...

Besides the opera, we only had a choice between two meals, Chicken Parm with Angel Hair or Salmon. Of course being the "fancy" crap that it was (I refer you to Penn and Teller's BULLSHIT episode on "The Best"), it was way too small AND, I never knew it was so possible to screw up spaghetti like they did. It was absolutely disgusting, though the chicken was good for sure. ALSO being a fancy doo, the tables were absolutely packed with people and relatives, essentially giving everyone a half square foot of space for their legs, and I am NOT exaggerating. It was an absolutely miserable 5 hours, and to make things worse, the drive home wasn't spectacular either.

We all piled into the car and headed back along the turnpike, and guess what we hit. MASSIVE traffic, enough that it held us back another hour. Luckily I managed to fall asleep for two of the hours we were driving, but I absolutely hated that I'd lost a full 10 hours to this thing, but then again, it's mom's 50th, and I did it for her....

Juggle This: PHILLY JUGGLERS FEST 09!
Alrighty then, so as a couple of my good juggler friends (especially Paris) convinced me this year, Phily fest is basically just a half tank of gas away and no cost to me other than the food, so no mater what my situation, I'll be going every year now. So this year I woke up on Saturday with a few plans to do throughout the festival, one was to obviously go enjoy the fest, but the second was something I really liked doing and will do in the future. What was it? To sell my custom modified Yo-Yo Sticks. What the hell are Yo-Yo Sticks? Well, I'll be releasing a video showcasing them soon, but at the moment, I'll just explain it as a moderately sized tube which has an elastic powered sting attached at the center. Simply put, it's a non-sleeping yo-yo with the added dimension of what a juggling club is compared to a ring. It's an awesome prop, and I'm happy to say I more than paid for my entire trip by selling my modified sticks! Now I'll explain more about them later when I put up the web page about them, but for mow, let's get back to Philly Fest.

I started out filling up my gas tank and getting breakfast at the shop, ready for a 2 hour drive at around 11:00 or so, and to my joy and surprise I found myself pulling into the parking deck not even an hour later as I walked in to find the gym mostly empty, save for a dozen and a half jugglers or so that dotted the floor. I was early after all, and everyone was heading out for lunch at that moment anyways. I ran into Al Teal outside the gym as I was walkin in though, which was always a cool thing to have happen, he is a good friend. And I immediately started up with the usual hello's and introductions before taking out a set of yo-yo sticks and messing with them. INSTANTLY, I had a crowd of like 4 kids and a few guys coming around to take a look at the things, and I sold two of the 8 I brought with me that day right there, not even ten minutes after having arrived at the convention. So I did my thing for a while, and suddenly I'm approached by one of the organizers who I was friends with asking if I'd be willing to host the intermediate 3 ball workshop. I agreed almost instantly, and a few hours later, there I was with about 6 people, helping them to learn 423 variations.

A little while passed before it was time for the show, and without Greg Kennedy, it was really a little bit less than previous shows, but suddenly Paris came out and did a Bounce Juggling routine, and noone even knew he bounced! DAMN was it impressive and cool! The second Larry Vee act was absolutely classic, and besides that I honestly don't remember, I remember fighting to stay awake because I'd only gotten about 4 hours of sleep the night before, but hey, everyone makes mistakes.

So it was party time! And quite a hell of a good surprise too, because the party was no longer being held at a house on the other side of the city, it was literally 5 blocks down the street! WOO! Of course as I went out to walk there, I walked completely the wrong direction without realizing it, and tired myself out after wondering where the place could be after 5 blocks and a 7/11 hot pocket dinner... So I made my way back to the party and sat at the campfire, which i was SO glad there was like previous years, and though the beer wasn't very good, I ended up getting to stay up until around 3 or so trading jokes and one liners with a few guys, and makin smores. Absolutely a good party, despite not having anyone play the game console I brought in X3.

So i slept on the couch there good and late, came in to the gym and sold a few more yo-yo sticks. I literally sold out of them on the first day, but luckily I had the presence of mind to buy more on my way to the fest, and overall I sold 12 of them, and literally PAID for my visit to the convention, including gas, food, and everything, by selling yo-yo sticks! That was such an awesome realization when it hit me that I left home for the on with 80 dollars and arrived back home with, 80 dollars!

So back to day two, the main thing to happen there were the games and combat (at last, combat!), the most noteworthy things were how completely lax the games were run, it was a bit refreshing and a little confusing when the organizers were going "Ok, ummm, let's do, the, uhh, 5 BALL ENDURANCE! Yeah, that's it!" And I don't mean that as an insult in any way, just that it was interesting. Wht was also quite interesting is that I managed to place third in the 5 object/ball endurance! Beating out Josh Horton, Paris, one of the Hodges, and a few other names. I broke 2 minutes and 15 seconds, making my new personal best. I also won a few rounds of combat early before Josh and the others came in, but it was definitely nice to be the victor for more than one round, lol.

A Day In The Life Of A Peanut Butter Cup ~ Reeses2150

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?