Tuesday, August 17, 2010

 

New Meadowlands Stadium! The Place To Be!

Listen Up!So now that my blog is back and I've talked all about jugglign last week, I suppose it's time to finally talk in depth about my job at the New Meadowlands Stadium, as I've been there working 10 times now (Bon Jovi 4x, Soccer 2x, Hot 97, The Eagles, Giants Practice, and Jets vs Giants), and haven't discussed a single event. Granted some have been more boring than others, and some have been more exciting than others, so I think I'll just do a quick run through of one event then a full report for another one this time. And then maybe the same thing next time if the Giants vs Steelers turns out to be a mediocre game.
::
Bartending jobs sure are HARD to land. I had one at Bensi's Italian Restaurant seemingly down, until I went in for the interview and was told they'd just filled out their positions. I'm still looking obviously, and I'm going to be going back to the training center in Red Bank soon to get in some physical practice as a refresher before going out and looking for more. Bottom line, it's tough...
::
After finally going through all my WJF6 footage and getting that video done, I've gotten to look at all the trick footage I've gotten of myself for my next video, Intercepted Gravity, and Holy Crap was there a lot of good stuff! Enough in fact that I've been able to edit the first cuts of the video fully!

Daily Life:
So since I haven't talked about it yet, I've changed my mind and I'm gonna talk about what I've done so far with the different positions instead of going into details about one specific event. So far there are very few places I haven't done around the stadium, and that's a good thing.

I've worked inside and on the seats of the sideline club, basically the most VIP/Premier/High end club in the stadium, during the Hot 97 concert, which was the most brutal experience ever and I'll go more in depth about that in later posts.

I worked in the 300 concourse right in the endzone, in other words the nosebleeds section, for the first set of Bon Jovi concerts. They had an amazingly great view of things, especially during the finale with all the fireworks and then when the stadium was lit up with all the monitors, and it was also nice and cool with the winds constantly blowing through the tunnel to the seats.

I worked in an elevator lobby during the first soccer game (Mexico vs Ecuador), and during the Eagles concert I worked in a plaza level elevator lobby, where the speakers weren't on and the TV was stuck on channel ABC 7, so I couldn't experience the concert at all, just sit and watch Jeopardy and Wheel Of Fortune in silence.

I worked the ticket gates for the first quarter of the Giants vs Jets game and the first part of the last Bon Jovi concert, which is a great spot to work in until the show starts, because you don't have to deal with moving people to the right seats, dealing with smokers, or anything else, just scan the ticket and say "welcome to Meadowlands, enjoy the game" or something along those lines.

I worked in the 300 Concourse corners for the Giants Practice and for US vs Brazil, and that was an interesting spot to work because of how the sections are designed for sure. Luckily during the Giants practice I really only had to sit down in the seats and get a big tan while waiting for people to come up and see their seats as where the soccer game, well I'll go into more detail in later posts on that as well.

And finally I worked in the 100 Concourse, right on the corner of the field, for the last 3 quarters of the Jets vs Giants game, absolutely the best spot to work in so far from the view alone, but the worst because so many complained about not being able to see when people stand up, and that's because the seats are set at such a low angle.

So far though, with each of them, the traffic getting there hasn't been that bad, save for the USA vs Brazil soccer match thanks to a rubbernecking caused traffic jam that ate up a full half hour of driving time RIGHT in front of the exit to get to the stadium. The break rooms have been getting slightly better each time, though the food still sucks and the rooms are way too small, at least now they're air conditioned better and have working TV's in them, now to just get breaks given to us at decent times is all. Traffic exiting the game has gotten better and better with each one, and deservedly so after the nightmare of the Mexico vs Ecuador Game which had traffic backed up for a full three hours after the game had ended.

Though no matter what downsides this stadium has, and there's still plenty of them in terms of working situation and in stadium design, the simple and wonderful fact is I'm getting PAID to watch concerts and football games. NOTHING could beat that in terms of a job. And it's why I intend to keep this one as long as I possibly can.

A Day In The Life Of A Peanut Butter Cup ~ Reeses2150

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?