Friday, September 03, 2010

 

A Tale Of Video Editing

Listen Up!
Workin at the Meadowlands is just great. I just have to say that. There's plenty of things to nitpick at for sure, like the parking situation for example. Which has gotten way worse now, since they are making us park at the BACK of the employee lot and having to go through quite a number of hoops just to get to the punch in clocks. But the big thing that will never change is that I'm in a customer service job, which is what I'm best suited for, and getting PAID to watch football games. This is just awesome. OH! Especially sicne we just got a new break room! One which is literally triple the size of the old one with working AC and NORMAL chairs to relax in as opposed to the high-chairs of the old one which were almost leaving you better off standing.
::
College is about to start, and I think this is going to be interesting, because for the first time ever, I'm going to only be taking 2 classes, and continuing to job-hunt the rest of the time. It's going to be good because the two classes I'm sure to like, Digital Graphics and Typography. I'm not 100% sure what to expect this semester, but it's going to be an interesting one for sure, especially since I've stepped down as president of Tech.MCC
::
I've rarely felt like a more awesome juggler, as you'll read below. I think the only times I've felt more proud of being a juggler was when I was featured on Juggling.TV for Pong Progression and when I was featured on the list of the top 40 jugglers for 2008. I'm so eager for Philly Fest!
::

Juggle This:
This, feels, AWESOME. Not only have I released Intercepted Gravity a few days ago and gotten nearly a thousand views already on Juggling.tv alone! But I've also come up with a unique routine that I can finally put together and perform at Philly Fest on the main stage! I'd thought about doing Muffin Clutches up there as an in-between routine but enough people have seen it and kinda isn't right for that stage, especially the fact the routine barely lasts for a minute and a half. But this new one is awesome, and I don't want to reveal too many details about it right now, so instead I'm going to talk about Intercepted Gravity and what went into making it.

So I start off the same way I always do, by gathering footage from whatever practice sessions I do, and trying hard moves that I hadn't managed to do before or breaking personal records for them. While doing that I also try to get routines in there of tricks strung together in interesting ways, and so after a few months of doing that, I had enough footage to start editing. Now, when I start editing I always never have enough footage to complete the video, and that's kind-of intentional, because I like to have my videos build themselves, and I would like to explain that further because that was a very mystical statement.

I don't like to plan things out, especially when it comes to my videos and such. I always leave room for improvisation and as with my music videos, leave footage space so i can record more later. This is because as I start editing, I'm able to look at the style of the clips and find a piece of music and editing style that matches, giving the video a cohesive center. From there, that allows me to be inspired by it and come up with more tricks and routines that are done with that style in mind, so it compliments the whole video even more. That and it's very easy to record more footage than I need after I've started editing and gone back to recording, and that is a very good thing, because then I can afford to toss out the worse portions and replace them with better ones.

Once I finally get done with the first edit, I always continue to record more footage to see if things can be improved, and I watch the video over and over again. This is to make sure that I notice things, like segments which are too long, slow, or boring, and replace them with better ones or fix them. A lot of the times the editing will be imperfect like when I make a trick that synch's with a certain beat of the music, sometimes it will be off a bit because the editing preview isn't synched as well as the final video, so I get to fix those things after watching it fully rendered.

Usually from there the video is done and I show it to a few of my good juggling friends to see how it looks to them before upload, which is what I did for this one, but around the 3rd revision round or so, I struck upon something amazing. I realized about the color curves tool in Vegas, and looked at each clip of my video. Nearly all of them had incorrect colors! ESPECIALLY in the form of too much green and blue. So I managed to figure out how to finally fix my colors in the video, and make things look professional once and for all! I can't possibly see how I managed to edit videos before now! It's absolutely incredible if you watch my more recent videos and then compare them to Intercepted Gravity. They just look so much worse!

Well that's what I had to say about that, I'm quite elated with what I've been doing in relation to juggling recently and I can only hope this will continue until at least Philly Fest, and then past there so I have a shot once again at getting on the top 40 jugglers of the year once again XD

A Day In The Life Of A Peanut Butter Cup ~ Reeses2150

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?